Main Forum

My first experiences in the GCI slot

1 reply
Votes:
+3
Blue Side Pilots
My first impressions at trying my hand at GCI...
- Pilots don’t seem to care what you call yourself. I tried to call myself “BigFoot” (a legit controller sign btw, heard it on recordings from an aircraft that got intercepted trying to Fly over a Super Bowl). Everyone insists on calling you magic no matter how many times you respond so you give up and call yourself magic.
- Pilots tend to assume you instantly know their voice / and therefore their location, loadout, and all other info.
-Pilots tend to forget that their in-game name doesn’t always match the list on the BlueFlag website. Some even have multiple callsigns in their gametag.
-Pilots tend to ignore the context of when they are calling. You will find yourself controlling 5+ cap aircraft with an active furball fight going on and someone from the other side of the map will make a declare call in the middle of you trying to tell that F15 about the enemy 2nm away...
Tips for Pilots:
Pay attention to the freq for a few minutes. A giant clue that GCI is online is when you hear “Sunrise”. So if you hear “attention all aircraft BigFoot is sunrise” then you know you should be asking Bigfoot for directions. (Or darkstar or magic or ...)
Don’t assume the controller can pick you instantly from the cloud of icons on the map, especially with action going on. I suggest waiting for a lull and then calling the controller by stating some like: [GCI] this is [perfered callsign] , marked as [in-game name] out of [airfield of origin or closest landmark], {CAP/CAS} loadout, ready for tasking”
Ok there is a lot in that call so let’s break that down and give you my example: “Darkstar this is Rottie, out of Beslan, CAP loadout, ready for tasking.” In this example I have listened on freq and know that Darkstar is controlling, when I’m all set I let him know some very important info, what my name is (mine is the same all around so I don’t need the “marked as”), nearest airfield or other easy to ID landmark to my position, what my weapons load is for and that I’m ready to take his instructions and execute them. This tells the controller all the info he needs to assign you something to do. If you wanna get fancy and the freq isn’t so busy you can add your aircraft type or details the weapons, but IMHO this statement is about the minimum amount of info needed by the controller to find you on the map and get his mental picture of you going.
Don’t call on freq during engagements unless you have to. Yes I totally get that the F18’s IFF is not functional right now so Declare calls are going to be frequent, but guys, if you hear a controller talking to 5-6 other fighters about an engagement going on and your 100 miles from the front lines, chances are that your call isn’t that important right now 😉
If you want to drive the F18 on BlueFlag right now, either get a declare or Visually and Positively identify your targets. There’s a LOT of friendly fire going on because of people not on comms and with very poor SA.
Be on Comms. Simple radio is just that, simple. Even if you don’t have a microphone tune in and listen to what’s going on so you don’t cause a pain for others.
If you are not familiar with brevity code listen for a while and you’ll figure it out. Or ask. Don’t be afraid to ask in CHAT for help 😉
Finally have some fun with it, this is a game after all. I have heard a few hard core folks getting upset when the “4th Wall” gets broken, however for the enjoyment of all please only get huffy if it gets excessive or if done during a firefight.
There you go. My thoughts and opinions after my first “real” and busy session in the GCI seat. I had a ton of fun doing it and will be doing it again.
Good Hunting
Rottie / Bigfoot
Posted Jun 4, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+3
Blue Side Pilots
Something I forgot, Learn the RWR. Getting “Spiked Mig29 Close” better mean that Mig’s got you locked up and your RWR is screaming into your headset “you bout to die!” Not that the mig is 50 miles away in search mode (nails).
The RWR display in most aircraft for blue is going to look like a series of circles. The closer to the center *the greater the threat* not the “closer” that threat is to you.
I didn’t intend for this to go into the RWR so let me just leave it to the reader to learn that system. Meanwhile there are roughly 4 terms you need to know for talking about your RWR on the radio:
Spike/Spiked - a threat has actively locked you up (alt Mud Spike- likely a SAM)
Naked - No RWR indications
Nails - indication of a radar in search
Buddyspike - friendly on your RWR Know this term and know that it’s associated with the “RayGun” call. Here’s how it works...
Friendly aircraft, like an F15 will lock up a target and call “RayGun” into the radio. If your RWR is screaming at you that you’ve been locked by a 15 get on the radio and call BuddySpike position heading altitude That way you figure out who’s who.
And note to you F18 drivers just because no one calls buddyspike doesn’t mean your free to open fire yet. If you have time call the GCI and ask for a declare and state the parameters you know like the bearing and range from you to your target. If no GCI or if they are busy then your SA should give you a clue, if all else fails visual ID

Oh and if your going to let the freq know about what’s on your RWR it would be great if you could let folks know the general area. Here’s an idea: “Rottie Nails Mud 6 bearing zero, near Beslan”. While it’s not 100 authentic probably at least this let’s other players know a few things. First Rottie is seeing an active radar threat, it’s a SA6 it’s due north of him and it’s likely close to Beslan. That should also let you make some deductions, like Rottie is south of Beslan and he’s headed north. Remember that making such a call requires some SA on the part of the pilot. For example if I was west of Beslan instead of north and flying 090 (east) my RWR would show that SA6 at the 12 o’clock position on the display. I should have the Situational Awareness to know I need to adjust my threat call “Rottie Nails mud6 bearing 090”
Again I know this all isn’t 100% correct but I’m trying to convey concepts here. The whole idea is to communicate the max amount of info to others in the least amount of time.

Hope this helps even one player , good hunting
Posted Jun 4, 18 · OP
List
Undo
NoticeNotices