Main Forum
Page
of 2

What did you do with Harriers guys?

19 replies
Votes:
+7
Blue Side Pilots
Been flying AV-8Bs out of Ambrolauri no issues, there are light poles either side but this is not a problem if you keep straight and true, gentle run up and subtle inputs as you gather speed. I had been rearming and fueling at Gudauta; you can make it there with some fuel to spare*.
My actions ran somewhat thus; execute a short take-off, though do make use of the road ahead to reduce fuel consumption on take-off and transition into forward flight promptly, aim for a speed of around 250-300 knots to conserve fuel; from there make your way west whilst avoiding engagement and prying eyes by flying at the height of a bear's arse, don't sightsee or bimble and you'll have some go-juice for a vertical landing if required, but not much more. Rearm, refuel have a cup of tea, some biscuits and then get back our there.

-edit-
* I should specify that you can make it there from the initial fuel load you'll find yourself with, when you jump in your Harrier first thing at the FARP and yes there are several much closer 'full-length' airstrips to refuel/rearm at.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Flight and sim enthusiast, with real-world experience; piston-prop fixed-wing, gliders and paragliders.
Posted Apr 24, 18 · Last edited Apr 24, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+7
Blue Side Pilots
As to why the Harrier is located in such a place; this fits with its role in such a region, it's situated there because it can. Sochi Adler and other airports like it are rather wide open to attack from a distance, Ambrolauri affords you the benefit of some surrounding hard cover without relying on Interceptors or ground-to-air defences, I have more times than I care to recall been strafed whilst knob-twiddling at the apron. Yes take-off from such places can be a challenge, but that's why we love flying right?

Keep your biscuits chocolate side up and don't dunk them for too long;

ouPhrontis.

Flight and sim enthusiast, with real-world experience; piston-prop fixed-wing, gliders and paragliders.
Posted Apr 24, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+8
Untagged users
wrote:
Rearm, refuel have a cup of tea, some biscuits and then get back our there.

Hahaha, you must be British! :d
Posted Apr 24, 18 · Last edited Apr 24, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+7
Blue Side Pilots
wrote:
wrote:
Rearm, refuel have a cup of tea, some biscuits and then get back our there.

Hahaha, you must be British! :d
Guilty, sir! Have a good sortie olde chap and see you in the mess for a cup of NATO standard.

Posted Apr 24, 18
Votes:
+8
Untagged users
I also have a strange urge to watch Red Dwarf all of a sudden....
Posted Apr 24, 18
Votes:
+1
Blue Side Pilots
wrote:
Been flying AV-8Bs out of Ambrolauri no issues, there are light poles either side but this is not a problem if you keep straight and true, gentle run up and subtle inputs as you gather speed. I had been rearming and fueling at Gudauta; you can make it there with some fuel to spare*.
My actions ran somewhat thus; execute a short take-off, though do make use of the road ahead to reduce fuel consumption on take-off and transition into forward flight promptly, aim for a speed of around 250-300 knots to conserve fuel; from there make your way west whilst avoiding engagement and prying eyes by flying at the height of a bear's arse, don't sightsee or bimble and you'll have some go-juice for a vertical landing if required, but not much more. Rearm, refuel have a cup of tea, some biscuits and then get back our there.

-edit-
* I should specify that you can make it there from the initial fuel load you'll find yourself with, when you jump in your Harrier first thing at the FARP and yes there are several much closer 'full-length' airstrips to refuel/rearm at.

I do use the FARPs for rearming/refueling and indeed have been flying out of Ambrolauri quite a lot.(with subsequent vertical landing and short takeoff from ontop the FARP)
But I must respectfully disagree with your statement that this is a typical place to find a Harrier with light poles on either side.
The first thing they would have done if they were to operate Harriers from such a place would be to reroute/disable the electric grid in the street and cut down all the poles. And then As you say so correctly it would be a nice place to use Harriers.

I have also been strafed or otherwise killed on ground more on FARPS than on Aprons also, but that just unlucky/luck me I guess.

I would revise my earlier statement about default loadout. And I think the best start would be 4x AIM-9 and Gunpod.
Then you are light enough to hover over to the FARP for rearm/refuel and you can take off to defend the FARP if under attack.
Posted Apr 26, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+7
Blue Side Pilots
wrote:
The first thing they would have done if they were to operate Harriers from such a place would be to reroute/disable the electric grid in the street and cut down all the poles.

Oh absolutely, I agree; the poles are rather bothersome but not impossible to negotiate ones way around, though had we the choice; they'd be taken down as you say.

I too had some cheeky bugger have a go whilst I was sat at that very FARP, though they appeared to have a little trouble with the cramped terrain, combined with a hot run and merely helped dig a lovely fire pit for the evening's BBQ.

Posted Apr 26, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+8
Untagged users
IIRC the trigger to remove objects such as light poles etc. was broken in 2.5.0 which is why there are poles at the FARP's. Reading the patch notes for 2.5.1 I'm sure I spotted that the trigger had been fixed so expect light poles removed again in a future blueflag update I'm guessing.
Posted May 2, 18
Votes:
Untagged users
I'm new to Blue Flag, but had a lot of fun flying last night. It's a great idea, though I was very lost last night (Wasn't on SRS and hadn't found this website yet). The light poles are a real challenge, especially since the collision model has the light pole at about 5 feet wide. Myself and a squad made had luck taking off from the road, then re-arming at the FARP. You can get off the FARP at just under 28k but make sure you have plenty of room to climb out! We are going to give it another go Thursday night, hopefully with some more SA since we will be on SRS. Would be much nicer if the Harriers just started ON the FARP.
Posted May 16, 18
Votes:
Untagged users
I had lots of fun last time when I flought on BF.About 4 harriers tryed to take off from Khasuri and they tryed take off from road ,from FARP,from one side of FRAP then second side of FARP,then FARP and gras behinfd FARP and I was in cocpit and looked them and cryed from lough.Everybody crashed on all kind of way.Then some guys disconected and some continued this disaster.It was pitty I didnt record that.It would be the funiest movie from DCS World I m sure.Then I tryed take off and hit asvell a few times lights,but finaly I found way how to take off from FARP fully loaded.
But it was unbelieveble I couldnt stop lough.My GF came to my room and ask me if I dont need white ambulance. :lol:
Posted May 16, 18 · OP
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices