Main Forum
Page
of 2

Aspiring Huey pilot

14 replies
Votes:
Untagged users
This is an interesting read - I've started to dabble myself. I had some issues when I spawned at a FARP trying to get rearm/refuel sorted out - I could order & load cargo but the ground crew were non-responsive...I may have been failing with the intercom although I think I tried all the channels and T/R+G and whatnot.

Do you slingload the KUB or is it all crated in the helo?

+1 with SRS - it's the business!
Posted Mar 15, 18
Votes:
Blue Side Pilots
CTLD doesn't deal with slingloading at all afaik
huckle10.png
Posted Mar 16, 18
Votes:
Blue Side Pilots
I've heard conflicting reports, but I've never been able to access ground crew from a huey at FARPS. I have only been successful at airbases. To access ground crew, I always make sure the battery is on, main radio switch (top of radio panel), UHF set to T/R (transmit & receive) and intercom selector switch to INT.

I'm going to try getting fuel at a friendly fuel depot sometime, but my instinct tells me 'Airfields Only' for ground crew functions.

When I spawn in a huey I usually am not out for blood, but logistics support. But I always spawn in with full gunship stock armanent. So unless I'm at an airfield, I can't unarm myself properly, but in that case I can always jettison my rocket pods and at least be a little lighter. If I jettison them mid-flight I can definitely detect the increase in power and lift.
huckle10.png
Posted Apr 5, 18
Votes:
+3
Blue Side Pilots
I feel ya. I feel like the last time I played DCS was a couple years ago, so I fired up 2.5 beta, reinstalled SR and tried to jump right back onto the BF server... and discovered I don’t remember a darn thing. After remapping keys and fighting my axis curves I finally got to where I can take-off... Landing is a bit more of a gamble. Loading troops is easy enough, unloading while the defending troops are firing at you not so much.
One thing I can not seem to find is how to tell what your weight is once you have loaded items. I tried my hand at the p51 cargo and loaded troops and a crate and crashed on takeoff thinking overweight should have dropped some fuel??

Huey is a challenge, for sure. I enjoy it though, I just wish I could find the friendly instructor sort online sometime. I can’t count the number of times I have been told “read the manual”. I have read it till my eyes bleed, reading it and implementing are two different things to me.
Posted May 22, 18
Votes:
Blue Side Pilots
I got my Huey training from the 229th and in particular a character named Gizzy. If you're active and still want to learn the huey and maybe other helicopters too, give me a PM and I'll get you squared away rottielover.
huckle10.png
Posted Aug 15, 18
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices