Main Forum
Page
of 2

Aspiring Huey pilot

14 replies
Votes:
Blue Side Pilots
Hey there,

This might be odd or something but I am looking for someone to help me get a grasp of flying on Blue Flag as a huey pilot.
Mostly minor things like tuning the ADF for the desired target location and how to get yourself noticed for short mission planning.
I'm currently not very proficient in brewity terms but I am willing to learn.

see you in the skys
Posted Mar 1, 17 · OP
Votes:
+2
Blue Side Pilots
I'm also a new Huey pilot working on being good enough to contribute to Blue Flag. Here is a tutorial I found about ADF navigation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEaCIo7_7Iw

I hope that helps.
Posted Mar 2, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+1
Blue Side Pilots
tip about Huey flying (especially for blue flag) just sit on the tarmac listen to the FM and wait till some yells we need a Huey then do your job
Posted Mar 3, 17
Dislike
List
Undo
Votes:
Blue Side Pilots
Sounds like a good idea. With the help from that video I figured everything out.
Now the most interesting question. I never really did troop transport with the Huey or is it, like get there and land?
Posted Mar 3, 17 · OP
Cut
Votes:
+3
Blue Side Pilots
Get in TS and we will help ya out! Blue team is always here for you

i_like_trains_asdf-189790.jpg
Posted Mar 5, 17
Votes:
+5
Red Side Pilots
Probably the most important thing is making sure you have simple radio working, and I'll go ahead and say it now: turn your microphone boost WAYYY down, like -80%. GCI will be on 264 and hueys are on 30.00AM as well, so make sure you know how to tune both radios to listen in, and have keybinds to talk. If someone is in the GCI role you can just ask where he needs you, or he will tell you outright. Otherwise coordinate on 264 with the striker pilots, or just start building defensive stuff with KUBs and stingers. Trying to run solo capture missions is a death wish. 30.00 is usually fairly dead, so if you need help you can always ask on there without stepping over the dogfight comms.

You probably won't use your ADF much in blue flag; you'll usually be flying low in the valleys and mountains making it inaccurate and the F10 map + the red circles people can drop on the map will usually be enough to navigate. Search and rescue isn't a thing anymore in blue flag and you'll typically be landing far away from any beacons making it mostly useless.

You load and unload troops through the CTLD menu, the same menu you would use to repair/refuel/ATC/ground power like normal (should be option F10.) Right now I believe only standard troops can capture points but I could swear I did it with an anti-tank team a few days ago. Your entire role is basically to use the CTLD menu to load stuff, fly someplace, and use the CTLD menu again to unload it. Over and over and over. If you aren't comfortable with CTLD you can practice at the #SierraHotel server because it doesn't have range limits on unpacking crates. Once a base is closed down and the troops it spawns are killed, you just need to drop standard troops within 3km / 1.6nm of the point and it will capture. If you're hovering low enough you can also do this without landing, and sometimes you'll have to if you're building stingers/EWR's/SAMs on crappy sloped terrain where trying to land would wreck your huey.

Just hop in and have at it; Blue Flag is a pretty unique experience that's hard to learn without doing it the hard way. Just get simple radio setup, and feel free to ask the other huey's for help on 30.00 and it should be cake. I fly under TARD 8-2 so feel free to ask if you need help; we can always tune to a random channel if you have a question and the server is packed.
twitch.tv/bootysweat911
Posted Jun 19, 17
Votes:
+1
Untagged users
Hey Guys,

thx nice Explanation.
Does this mean that, when I am conneted to the Server and I tune in the Huey the SR Frequencies from my Team, I can hear my mates via the Huey AM/FM? Or do I just have to be connected to SR and the AM/FM in the Huey is not needed?

Thx rubthecat
Posted Jul 10, 17
Votes:
Red Side Pilots
You will need to connect to SR and then power and tune your airframe radios to the correct frequencies. If you open the SR overlay, you will see that it reflects the frequencies selected on the Huey radio panels.

TD
Posted Jul 12, 17
Votes:
+1
Untagged users
Ah thx yeah great its working. Cool stuff.
Posted Jul 12, 17
Votes:
Blue Side Pilots
I fly huey only in blue flag. My workflow is to check the map gadget to see if there's something to do. I use common sense to determine if there is practical huey tasking. (For instance, do friendly farps need repaired? Is there a contested enemy farp at < 20% I could help take?)

If yes, I do most of my planning from the map gadget. I see the current sitrep of the Georgian theater, decide what CTLD logistics to load in and where to take it. That way, when I get in the server I know where to spawn, and roughly what heading to take to the objective.

Once spawned in-game, I use the map gadget along with the F10 map to get a best-idea of where exactly I'm going, then I use the map's line tool to draw my line, see my exact bearing, and subtract 6 from that to get a true-bearing. I usually try to stay as close to that bearing as possible, unless there's an obvious terrain or masking advantage from deviating and following a river valley, or going around a tall mountain instead of over it. I keep a regular eye on my F10 map to see my location relative to my line. It's my poor man's GPS.

Startup, check in on 264 Uniform (UHF) with simple radio, state my intentions, accept any advice offered, load in my logistics (usually mortar troops + repair crate, but sometimes JTAC crate is needed instead), arm my guns, and set off to cause some trouble.

ADF, radio nav I don't use in blue flag. I might, if I knew how to tell if a base had a beacon, and at what frequency.
Maybe someone can shed some light on that?
huckle10.png
Posted Mar 14, 18
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices